Los Altos is a great city in the county of Santa Clara. This is a city that has a great history and in this article, you will learn some interesting facts about Los Altos.
- Since the early 1900s, Los Altos was known as one of the leading producers of apricot, globally. This only changed when most people relocated to this city after World War II and the orchards were converted into houses.
- When you visit Los Altos, you can go to the February streets, which had a history of having acacia blossoms. Edward Hohfeld is one of the people who was famous for growing over 2,000 trees on his 100 acre estate.
- The February streets of Los Altos have long been graced with clouds of golden acacia blossoms. In the 1930s, branches of these local blossoms were shipped in refrigerated boxcars to bring a taste of spring to the still-wintry eastern states. For this purpose, Edward Hohfeld grew 2,000 trees on his Los Altos Hills 100-acre estate.
- The first Festival of Lights event took place in December 1939. The local merchants raised $100 to buy Christmas lights for the huge oak at the Main & First Streets. Volunteer Fire Department hung the lights on the trees.
- Did you know that some of the tech gurus have their origins in Los Altos and Los Altos Hills? Some of them include Servgey Brin, David Packard, Chuck Geschke and Steve Jobs among others.
- Back in 1938, there was an attempt to rename San Antonio Road to Los Altos Avenue, but this was opposed by most citizens. The main reason for the opposition was that this road has great historical significance as it was on the land that was part of Rancho San Antonio.
- One of the best community events that has had great impact is the Las Altos Pet Parade that brings the best pest, mostly dogs and cats, since 1948. In recent times there are pets that have been entered into this event, including spiders, white mice and exotic lamas, among others.
- In 1938, the Los Altos News ran an ad pleading with people to reject the electric refrigerators and stick to the conventional old reliable ice box.
These are some of the things that make the city of Los Altos to be unique in its own way. It has a great and rich history that cuts across the board.